Email - info@angarrackcottages.co.uk | call 07843 151539 or 01736 755868  |   Angarrack Cottages No.12 Grist Lane Angarrack Near Hayle Cornwall TR27 5HZ
twitter
FB Button
Old-cornish-cottages
Welcome To Angarrack Cottages

The name Angarrack comes from An Garrek which means The Rock in the Cornish language. According to the Ordnance Survey the spelling is Angarrack but on signs near the village, it is variously spelt Angarrack, Angharrack, or Angarrick.

Angarrack is shown on maps as far back as the sixteenth century. The village was formerly a centre of industry with a history of mining and quarrying. There were also four mills on the Angarrack River.[citation needed] One was at Trungle; one (Angarrack Mill) was at the far end of the village on the junction of Grist Lane formally known as (the fields) and Steamer's Hill; one (Grist Mill) was situated at the northern end of the village; and one (Loggans Mill) still stands beside the Angarrack River at the eastern end of Hayle.

Hayle (Cornish: Heyl) is a small town, civil parish and cargo port in West Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is situated at the mouth of the Hayle River (which discharges into St Ives Bay) and is approximately seven miles (11 km) northeast of Penzance.The name derives from the Cornish heyl, meaning estuary.

Hayle parish was created in 1888 from part of the now defunct Phillack parish, with which it was later combined in 1935, and incorporated part of St Erth in 1937.

Although there is a long history of settlement in the Hayle Estuary area dating from the Bronze Age, the modern town of Hayle was built predominantly during the 18th century industrial revolution. Evidence of Iron Age settlement exists at the fort on the hill above Carnsew Pool where the Plantation now stands. It is thought that Hayle, was an important centre for the neolithic tin industry, trading not only Irish and Breton people, but also the Phoenicians of the eastern Mediterranean.

Hayle was initially a coal importing and ore exporting port but Hayle was initially dwarfed by nearby Angarrack, where a tin smelter was built in 1704 and mills and stamps converted/constructed to process the ore.

Perhaps the first major development at Hayle was the construction of the first modern quay by John "Merchant" Curnow, in the 1740s, to service the growing mining industry. In 1758 the Cornish Copper Company (CCCo) moved from Camborne and set up a copper smelter at Ventonleague (Copperhouse Creek) and this proved very successful, so much so that a canal was built to bring vessels right up to the works and additional land was purchased on both sides of the creek for industrial use and providing housing for the workers.  (info from Wikipedia)

Border
cottage-top
cornish-cottages-divider
cornish-cottages-divider
Subscribe to our Mailing List:
Cornish Cottages